Control Systems for Oil and Gas Applications (Part 1)
About the Skill Module
This skill module provides an introduction and overview of control systems typically encountered in the oil and gas facilities.
Target AudienceProcess, chemical, and mechanical engineers, (i.e. non-instrumentation and non-electrical disciplines), as well as other technical and non-technical professionals with little or no background in IC&E systems.
You Will Learn
Participants will learn how to:
- Describe the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance
- Differentiate between self-powered and loop-powered devices
- Explain the nature of backup AC and DC power
- Describe what is control, types of control, and its purpose and architecture
- Identify the nature of analog and digital input and output signals
- Describe signals, the use of pneumatic actuators and control systems, and managing noise
- Identify various signal converters and types of wiring and cabling
- Describe instrument tag numbers, PID symbols, and documentation