Introduction to Petrophysics
About the Skill Module
This skill module provides a brief introduction to key concepts in petrophysics. The three key topics discussed in the module are mud logging, cores, and wireline logs. The basic knowledge gained in this module will give you the ability to comfortably work through complex datasets in other petrophysics topics.
Geoscientists and engineers with less than twelve months experience using petrophysical data and other technical staff at all experience levels wanting a fundamental background in the petrophysics discipline.
You Will Learn
Participants will learn how to:
- Recognize the inputs into basic saturation and volumetric calculations
- Describe the types of data used in petrophysics
- Define the types of information gathered from and the value of mud logs
- Define the types of information, value, and application of core
- Explain how logs are generated and their constituent parts
- Recognize how the borehole environment influences log data